Student Equipment Loan Program
Laptop and hotspot loans to support remote learning
Academic Year 2020-2021
We are currently accepting requests for laptop and hotspot loans. The program is primarily intended for low-income undergraduate students. The priority request date is Friday, October 2, 2020, at 12:00 pm (noon) PST.
- Each laptop has a webcam and microphone and the following software pre-installed: Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365, Google Chrome browser, Zoom, and Cisco AnyConnect VPN client. You can install additional software.
- The loan is free of charge, but fines will be imposed for damage (beyond normal wear and tear), late return, or non-return (including because of loss or theft), up to $800.
- Laptops will be available for pick up only. Exceptions may be granted on individual circumstances.
Mobile Hotspot Loans
- Each hotspot acts as a WiFi access point, using cellular service for its Internet connection. You can connect to the hotspot from your smartphone, laptop, or any other device that supports WiFi connectivity. The hotspot will not work without AT&T network reception. (You do not need to be an AT&T customer.)
- The hotspot device loan is free of charge and includes data service, but fines will be imposed for damage (beyond normal wear and tear), late return, or non-return (including because of loss or theft), up to $160.
- Hotspots will be available either for pickup on campus or for delivery to your home via USPS Priority shipping.
The program’s hotspots and laptops must be returned to campus; when instructed by the Student Equipment Team; by the end of the spring quarter 2021; when you no longer need the hotspot or laptop; or you separate from the institution (whichever comes first). Returns will take place either in person (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY) or by shipping. If shipping, you are responsible for proper packaging, tracking, costs, and any damage incurred in the process. Email email@example.com for the most up to date address.
- For students working as instructional assistants, TAs, Readers, or Research Assistants who need additional equipment for that work, you should request this equipment through your hiring department rather than through this loan program.
- If you have any questions about the Student Laptop Loan Program, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We appreciate all that you are coping with and hope this program helps a bit. We all look forward to our return from these emergency procedures as soon as possible.
About the program
In order to address the needs of students learning remotely, the Office of Information Technology, in partnership with Student Success Initiatives, has established an equipment loan program to distribute laptop devices and mobile WiFi hotspots to students who lack access to key remote learning tools. The program is primarily intended for low-income undergraduate students.
If you have any questions about the Student Hotspot Loan Program, please email: email@example.com.