Laptop Requirements for Students
As distance learning has become necessary, we have gathered some information on student discounts for laptop computers to help you reach your academic goals and stay connected.
Students receiving financial aid in the fall can request an additional one-time budget increase of up to $2,000 for a new computer. The additional funding available is limited to student and/or parent loans, depending on eligibility and borrowing limits. This allowance covers hardware, software, monitor, printer, and extended warranty.
Students are encouraged to visit or contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, 102 Aldrich Hall, by email at email@example.com, or phone at (949) 824-8262, for details on the budget increase process and limitations.
Minimum laptop requirements for UCI students
- No Chromebooks or tablets
- Operating system: Windows 10 or the latest version of Mac OS X
- Processor: Core i5 processor or higher
- RAM: 8 Gigabytes or more
- Hard drive: 256 GB Solid State Drive or larger solid-state drive
- Webcam: Built-in
- Graphics card: On board video will work for most use cases, but please consult with your school for any special cases which would require a discrete graphics card. Examples include photo/video editing and CAD software.
- Warranty and accidental damage protection are not required but highly encouraged.
School of Engineering - Minimum requirements
Engineering students have different laptop requirements. Please, refer to the following page for details:
Note that Mac laptops are not suitable for engineering students. For any questions related to engineering student laptops, contact Lisa Preble at firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Bren School of Information & Computer Sciences - Minimum requirements
ICS students have different laptop requirements. Please, refer to the following page for details:
Discounts for students are available through a variety of vendors and resellers
Direct to students
- Apple for Education
- Dell for Universities
- Lenovo for Students
- HP for Students
- Microsoft for Education
Student Equipment Loan Program
OIT, in partnership with Student Success Initiatives, has established an equipment loan program to distribute laptop devices and mobile WiFi hotspots to students who lack access to key remote learning tools. Please note that this program is primarily intended for low-income students and supply is limited.